NDEAM Advice for Employers and Employees
Deaf Employees are ‘The Right Talent, Right Now”
National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) is a month-long celebration in October, but support for deaf employees and inclusive employers is a year-round endeavor.
“Accessible and inclusive hiring practices is something CSD Works strives to support every day,” explains Kristy Ramos, Director of CSD Works. “CSD Works is proactive when it comes to improving the recruitment and placement process for deaf job seekers by providing resources and services for both employees and employers.”
NDEAM has grown from its beginnings in 1945. This year’s theme of “The Right Talent, Right Now” puts the spotlight on inclusive policies and practices, and the ever-increasing services and supports available for both disabled employees and employers who hire workers with disabilities.
CSD and CSD Works have celebrated NDEAM all month long by providing free resources to deaf job seekers and employers, addressing common misconceptions, and more. Throughout the month we asked the deaf community what advice they’d like to share with employees and employers this #NDEAM. Here are some of the highlights:
NDEAM Advice for DHH Employees
- Be proactive. Create answers and solutions, rather than problems.
- Focus on your strengths and abilities.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Seek advocates and cheerleaders in the workplace.
- It’s never too late, or too early, to start networking.
NDEAM Advice for Deaf Friendly Employers
- If your job listing includes “speaking/hearing ability required,” implicit or explicit, rethink how the job is done.
- The best way to accommodate a person with any form of deafness is to ask them what method of communication works best for them.
- Consider learning ASL; the language is not easy, so be patient and don’t give up. Practice makes perfect.
- Do not focus on the differences of an employee with a disability. Instead, create and adjust access to fit their needs. You’ll notice their potential and contribution.
Be a Deaf Friendly Employer
CSD Neighborhoods and CSD Works has the resources you need to become more accessible to the deaf talent pool.
Find Deaf Friendly Jobs
CSD is always looking for new teammates. Browse our current openings, career resources, and other organizations deaf jobs.